2 Cups – Sugar
1-3/4 Cups – All-purpose flour
1-1/2 Tsp – Baking powder
1-1/2 Tsp – Baking soda
3/4 Cup – Cocoa powder
1 Tsp – Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
2 Large Eggs
1 Cup – Milk (whole, low fat or skim)
2 Tsp – Vanilla bean paste (or extract)
1/2 Cup – Vegetable oil
1 Cup – Boiling water
FOR THE “BUMPS”:
1/4 Cup – Cream cheese, room temperature
6 Tbsp – Butter, room temperature
4 Cups – Confectioner’s sugar
1 Tsp – Vanilla bean paste (or extract)
1/4 Cup – Water
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE FROSTING:
12 Oz – Chocolate, half milk and half dark, chopped finely
1 Cup – Cream (heavy, whipping or light)
2 Tbsp – Corn syrup, light or dark
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8- by 12-inch rectangular pan.
FOR THE CAKE:
- Sift together all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, milk, vanilla, and oil and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (using boiling water makes your cake softer). Pour batter (batter will be thin) into prepared pan.
- Bake for 60 to 75 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
FOR THE BUMPS:
Using a stand mixer with the wire whisk or a hand mixer and a medium bowl, cream softened cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy. Add confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and water. Start mixing on low speed; once incorporated, increase speed to high and mix until light and fluffy.
FOR THE GANACHE:
- Heat cream and corn syrup in a medium sauce pot JUST to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Place chocolate in a medium stainless steel bowl and add a third of the hot cream to the chocolate. Stir with a spatula to melt, then add another third of the hot cream; continue to stir and melt the chocolate. Add the remaining hot cream to chocolate. Stir until all of the chocolate is melted. You are now ready to assemble the cake.
TO ASSEMBLE CAKE:
- Fill a pastry bag with the “bump” mixture. Cut tip of bag to be approximately 3/4-inch in diameter. Pipe five “bumps” (rows) across the top of the cake, approximately 2 inches apart. You may have leftover frosting.
- Smoothly and evenly pour the warm ganache over the cake to frost. Cool frosted cake in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes before serving, to firm up the ganache.
Any leftover cake will keep in refrigerator for 7 days. Well-wrapped, it will keep 6 months in the freezer.
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR ALTERNATIVE:
5 Parts – Rice flour
1 Part – Tapioca starch
2 Parts – Potato starch
1 Part – Corn starch
Xantham Gum – 1 Tsp for every 2 Cups of gluten-free flour
Mix ingredients well. Follow recipe directions, substituting gluten-free flour for all-purpose flour.